UK’s first purpose-built deaf church to close
The St Saviour’s foundation cornerstone was laid in 1870 on London’s Oxford Street by the Prince of Wales and his wife Princess Alexandra, who had progressive hearing loss. The first service took place in 1873. Fifty years later the building was demolished to make way for development and the church relocated to Acton.
Further read at: www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-ouch-27130455